Join the BMF Family
Are you a music teacher looking to join a community of vibrant and committed musicians?
If you love to help others, then Brooklyn Music Factory might be the place for you.
BMF teachers playing with students on a gig at Rockwood Music Hall
MiniKeys class with Michelle
MiniKeys class with Jason
See what we’re all about
Brooklyn Music Factory is not just a music school; we are a mission-driven company intent on growing a body of 100,000 students worldwide with the tools needed to connect with others and build something bigger than themselves through music. Playing & performing in bands. Writing & sharing songs. Jamming around the campfire or around the world. We grow musicians for life and are changing a generation of music-making families.
Faculty jam during Summer Camp
Ben with his piano students, at a gig!
Founder Nate Shaw visiting a Rock Write & Record band rehearsal
Brooklyn Music Factory Lives & Teaches By These Core Values:
- Be the Best Version of Yourself
- Be 100% Engaged: Emotionally and Intellectually
- Find Joy in Every Day & Every Way
- Discover Everyone’s Story
- Communicate Consistently to Gain Trust
- Check Your Ego at the Door
- Build Community
Life as a BMF Teacher
Your life as a BMF teacher may feel radically different than any previous job. You will prepare for every single lesson with a level of intent and commitment that will mean long days. Especially in year one. You will be asked to study new BLAM (Big Lessons About Music) games every week and you will be challenged to implement new technologies that make your students’ learning experiences more efficient. You will be asked to create new content to benefit our whole community. You will work on Sundays celebrating with your students at gigs. And you will have to turn down that tour because you committed to being there for your students every week.
Your job is to build a community of confident, creative communicators fluent in the language of music. Your students will grow into lifelong musicians who join or start their own bands, write original songs, record and share their magic, and ultimately inspire others to join them in the mission to bring people closer together.
Ultimately, you will serve the community at large with your creative input. If you love to help others, then Brooklyn Music Factory is the place for you.
This position is for you if:
- You believe that making & sharing music with others is the best part of music.
- You find joy in each of your students’ journeys and successes.
- You are 100% committed to the growth of your students.
- You want to join a community that regularly gathers to share and celebrate music.
- You are an excellent and consistent communicator.
This position is not for you if:
- You are looking for a “side job” that you can schedule around other commitments and responsibilities.
- You are not available for several weekends of gigs through the school year.
- You like to go it alone and don’t see the value of connecting regularly with your fellow faculty.
- You are unwilling to learn and adopt a new curriculum.
- You are unwilling to learn and adopt new technologies and administrative systems.
Current Job Openings
MiniKeys Instructor Ages 4-5
Would you like to join a community of committed music educators who are revolutionizing the way music is taught? Brooklyn Music Factory is not just a music school; we are a mission-driven company intent on creating musicians who have the tools needed to connect with others and build something bigger than themselves through music. Playing & performing in bands. Writing & sharing songs. Jamming around the campfire or around the world. We grow musicians for life and are changing a generation of music-making families.
Currently we are looking for teachers for our MiniKeys program (ages 4-6).
MiniKeys is a playful music class for ages 4 to 6. One of our core beliefs at Brooklyn Music Factory is that the sooner a music student learns to play with others, the more likely he or she is to become a lifelong musician. So students at BMF start with a semi-private band class of up to 5 students. Every week we learn about melody, rhythm, harmony and songwriting through drum circle, games, singalongs and jamming on the bandstand. Twice a year, we invite family and friends into the classroom for a MiniGig where students share what they’ve learned.
Requirements for the job:
Must love kids ages 4 to 6
Must have taught or worked with young children
Must play guitar or piano and sing
Must be available to work weekday afternoons and Saturdays
Must be a strong communicator with families
Must be a creative person who loves to learn new curriculum and share ideas with a team
Must be available for staff meetings and committed to learning online systems
Once hired, all teachers will:
Complete four weeks of training. In addition to regular teaching hours, requirements for training include:
- 4 hours/week of off-site training, including completing assigned online training modules, learning the Lesson Plan arc, reviewing games and preparing for director check-ins
- Weekly 1- to 2-hour on-site training sessions with department director and/or IT support. During check-ins you will review the online modules, participate in in-person trainings, and be trained on the various systems and tools used at BMF
- Shadow another teacher in at least two classes/week for 2-3 weeks. You may shadow the teacher in the class/es you will eventually teach, or you may shadow in a similar class at a different day/time.
Additional meetings are required, including:
- Bi-weekly one-hour department meetings (joining virtually via video chat is permitted) to discuss curriculum and classroom needs and developments
- Bi-weekly 15-minute check-ins with department director (joining virtually via video chat is permitted)
- Monthly two-hour all-staff meeting the first Friday of every month
Monday 3:15pm – 5:15pm
Friday 3:15pm – 5:30pm
Saturday 10:00am – 12:00pm
Includes additional benefits:
– Retirement Account
– Free rehearsal space
– $15 an hour for training & meetings
If this position sounds like the right fit for you, please click on the button below:
Apply for the position through Indeed. You will receive an automated reply via email. Follow the instructions in that email to get in touch with us.