Well, the year is drawing to a close and we are gearing up for another raucous summer of rock climbing and rocking in the studio at the Brooklyn Music Factory Summer Camp. It is at this time that Peira and I take a moment to reflect, celebrating all that our students and staff have accomplished, in addition to looking at what we can improve to better serve BMF families. We meet with teachers and we chat with parents and students to get their thoughts. As a result of those conversations, I’m psyched to share some of the changes that are going into effect, in some cases, immediately:
- 1. No more trimesters next year! Yes, life is about to get way simpler. Our first day of classes (both band and private lessons) is Saturday, September 14th. And our last day of class is Sunday, June 22nd. We follow the public school calendar, so if they are open, so are we. That simple.
- Simplified billing. Yup, we are going back to a simple subscription model with monthly payments being automatically debited from the CC/Debit card on file. No more invoices and no more BIG payments. Victory!
- No more $125 Private Lesson Registration Fee. Gone! Done! Instead, we are implementing a low cost, annual, school membership fee: $33/musician. Think of it like a gym membership…pay the annual membership fee now, reserve your place for the Fall and then your monthly tuition is automatically paid on the first of each month beginning in September.
- Lots more gig opportunities for our intermediate and advanced students in both the band program and the private lesson side. Our community has grown a bunch this year and we recognize that we now need to add more playing opportunities reserved for the students that have been working hard with us since the beginning. Special events like Atlantic Antic & Peira’s monthly gig @ Greenlight Bookstore.
- Private lesson gigs reserved for older students. As our students get older, they get busier and as a result, it makes it more difficult for them to connect with other advanced musicians in our program. We plan to change that next year. Our school is about those connections being made and we are gonna do everything possible to cultivate that.
- Private lessons beginning with kids age 4 and up. We have gotten SO many requests from the minis that we have decided to welcome the younger set into our community.
- More Adult Bands!!! Yes. Yes. Yes….You asked for it and we are psyched to provide the space, faculty, and mojo to get you playing in a band. Next year we will have 10 Adult bands going. And we are even introducing Lunchtime rehearsals. Skip Yoga and come get your groove on instead from Noon-1pm.
- A streamlined after school schedule! No more confusion on when bands meet. From now on it’s gonna be Jam Band 101 at 3:45, Rock, Write and Record at 4:45, Advanced Bands at 6:00 and Adult Bands starting at 7:15 and 8:30, Monday through Friday.
- Special Friday evening workshops for advanced students. Take your learning to the next level with a pro at these bonus master classes. This is just one of the many new benefits being offered for FREE as part of your membership in our music community.
As we grow to accommodate more and more families that want a totally different approach to music education, we are learning that we need to stay dynamic and open to change. While we are rock solid on our mission, to give our students the tools necessary to make music with others through game based learning, we understand the system for how to do that is always open to tweaking. We hope that all of our valued music loving families will be psyched by the planned changes. Onward!