Yup. It’s that time of year & this is one of the most popular blog post we put up every year. Everyone loves to get a gift and when that gift is something as cool as a melodica then it’s a HUGE score. This year, I have decided to break it down by little music making toys (in this post), and bigger more serious purchases (in THIS post). This first post will cover the little toys. But to be clear, these little toys are awesome to have in your music corner, and can inspire tons of creativity!
Have fun shopping!
1. Melodica. This beauty is the closest thing to a portable piano. We use it all the time for ear training games @ BMF and I’ve played my fair share of reggae gigs on it. It also happens to be huge in Brazil (for whatever that’s worth to ya):
2. Hand Drum. It’s ultimate entry level instrument. Anyone can pick this sucker up and join a home jam session. I can’t tell you how many of these are floating around my house…probably one too many.
3. Metronome & Tuner (all in one). Here is an essential tool that every practicing musician needs to have in their corner. And yes, you can just download a bunch of apps that will cover this job but sometimes it’s just better to kick it old skool! This one I’ve selected is perfect for singers & instrumentalists because of its tuning abilities…great to sing along with! And it’s only $22.
4. Chicken (Egg!) Shakers. Why not? Less than ten bucks and enough for the whole family to jam along. Plus they remind me of all my favorite singer songwriters from 1990.
5. Xylophone w/ Case and mallets. Wait!! Before you decide this is only for toddlers, remember that making melodies by hitting something is incredibly satisfying for all ages & the barrier to entry on this little guy is minimal. Anyone can play it, even if you are, “not musical.” At less than $50, these are a great addition to the music corner!
(Bonus: You can FINALLY add those finishing touches to your Brooklyn folk band EP…)
6. Brooklyn Music Factory swag!!! So, you have probably seen that we have totally upgraded from just BMF tees. We now have trucker hats, bags of BMF picks, & even BMF drum sticks (easily the hippest swag I have ever seen). Stop by the BMF shop @ 600 Degraw St. You can pay by check, cash or use the CC on file (if you are a BMF member). Check ‘em out here:
Brooklyn Music Factory Drum Sticks:
BMF Pom Pom Hat
BMF Shirts – Lots of Styles & Options!