Yup. It’s that time of year & this is one of the most popular blog post we put up every year. Everyone loves to get a gift and when that gift is something as cool as a melodica then it’s a HUGE score. This year, I have decided to break it down by little music making toys and bigger more serious purchases (coming next week). This first post will cover the little toys. But to be clear, these little toys are awesome to have in your music corner. In fact, I have a video all about setting up your practice space at home and many of these gems make a cameo.
Have fun shopping!!
1. Melodica. This beauty is the closest thing to a portable piano. We use it all the time for ear training games @ BMF and I’ve played my fair share of reggae gigs on it. It also happens to be huge in Brazil (for whatever that’s worth to ya):
BUY HERE: http://www.zzounds.com/a–3081833/item–HOH32B
2. Hand Drum. It’s ultimate entry level instrument. Anyone can pick this sucker up and join a home jam session. I can’t tell you how many of these are floating around my house…probably one too many.
Slightly Bigger Drum:
3. Metronome & Tuner (all in one). Here is an essential tool that every practicing musician needs to have in their corner. And yes, you can just download a bunch of apps that will cover this job but sometimes it’s just better to kick it old skool! This one I’ve selected is perfect for singers & instrumentalists because of it’s tuning abilities…great to sing along with! And it’s only $22.
4. Chicken Shake(rs). Why not? Less than ten bucks and enough for the whole family to jam along. Plus they remind me of all my favorite singer songwriters from 1990.
5. Xylophone w/ Case and mallets. Wait!! Before you decide this is only for toddlers, remember that making melodies by hitting something is incredibly satisfying for all ages & the barrier to entry on this little guy is minimal. Anyone can play it, even if you are, “not musical.” At less than $20, whaddya got to lose?
6. Brooklyn Music Factory swag!!!!!! So, you have probably seen that we have totally upgraded from just BMF tees. We now have trucker hats, bags of BMF picks, & even BMF drum sticks (easily the hippest swag I have ever seen). Stop by the BMF market @ 295 Douglass St. Buzzer #4. You can pay by check, cash or use the CC on file (if you are a BMF member). Check ‘em out here:
Trucker Hat (with an old skool BMF Tee!):