10 Beginner Songs On Guitar That Aren’t “Smoke On The Water”
So you want some simple songs to play on your guitar, but are tired of “Smoke on the Water.” Here’s my list of personal favorites that are sure to get any beginner guitarist rocking!
1. The Middle – by Jimmy Eat World. Pop rock perfection with four chords on repeat. Cant beat that!
2. Satisfaction – by The Rolling Stones. Classic rock song with two chords and a simple guitar riff.
3. Where is My Mind – by The Pixies. Find into your inner alternative shoegazer and play these four chords on repeat!
4. Beat It – by Michael Jackson. Eliminate the guitar riff and it can be easily simplified to two or three chords.
5. Hotel Yorba – by The White Stripes. Not as common as the go-to song “Seven Nation Army,” but just as catchy and only four chords!
6. We Got the Beat – by The GoGos. Gotta love a one chord verse. Then a few simple changes in the chorus and you’ve got it!
7. Song 2 – by Blur. For anyone who loves a few great power chords and some serious noise.
8. When I Come Around – by Green Day. Rhythmically a little more challenging, but once you’ve mastered that, turn up the distortion and you are ready to go!
9. Jane Says – by Jane’s Addiction. Tap into some 90s nostalgia and rock these two chords all day long!
10. Twist and Shout – The Beatles. You can’t go wrong with this three chord classic.
– Peira Moinester
Director, BMF Band Program